1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I've been very busy this month, I'll be less busy next month so there'll be more releases of most of the series that we have at least releaesd 1 chapter for after August this year.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing out the coin-hive system

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Maester Aemon, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole
    Staff Member Supreme Crow Administrator

Hello,

I will be testing out the coin-hive system in hope for it replacing our ads. I'm personally no fan of ads so I have done my best to never have any intrusive ads. Few months ago a problem with the ad plugin caused me to just disable all ads on the reader page and ever since the revenue from the ads have been very insignificant. I think that it should be possible to drop it completely if I am able to implement the coin-hive system in a way that won't bother the users.

For now I will simply be testing around with it. If you feel that it lags you or causes any problems just write here and I will do my best to assist. Ublock origin blocks it by default so just get that if you want to block it and if you already have it and want to help my testing simply whitelist us :)

I won't be able to do much now considering that I'm sick but I'll be working more on it in the coming days :)

My end-game plan would be to have a points system where readers are able to vote with the points on special releases like the patreon one but one where everyone with a device that supports javascript can enter :)

I will be running this for a test period of a week and see the results to determine if its something viable to replace the ads with as well as figure out how to implement it as I hope to somehow give some kind of reward for it other than our regular releases :p We'll see for now this is all just plans.

Please provide feedback, otherwise I won't know if it casues any problems.

Known problems:
    Some antivirus detects it as trojan or other false positive, it is not a trojan or a virus of any kind. It just does some math, you can look up minero mining. Its also supposed to be lightweight as to not cause any lag or inconviences, if it does please let me know by posting below.

#1 Maester Aemon, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

You can also leave opinions, thoughts etc here :)

3. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

Is that the one Wolf (OhGodAPet) is developing? Also, smart choice on picking Monero. Been mining it with GPU and CPU since January, made some hefty money with little hardware. Also, best cryptocurrency, as in a cryptocurrency with privacy and security.

4. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

Its this one https://coin-hive.com/, its by http://pr0gramm.com/ some german image board. Personally I've been mining through nicehash just for the ease of use and since I have nvidia gpu its most profitable for me to mine with equihash algorithm (zcash for example). Nicehash pays out in btc directly which is convenient :p

5. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

I'm going to implement a stop button tommorrow also hope to get some more feedback so that I can understand whether it bothers visitors or not.

6. Harem King

Harem King Baby Crow

I'm curious, what currency do they pay out as? I had a read but I didn't see that mentioned, unless I missed it.

Also, is there something that's supposed to appear when I visit/read chapters? I don't have any adblockers. Am I suppose to do something to "mine"? It looks the same as always to me.

7. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

They pay out in Monero (XMR). It should automatically start, to know if its mining you can run
    Code:
    miner.isRunning()
    in consol to see. I'll see if I can add status and stop/start now.

8. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

What wallet are you using? A normal, CLI with local monerod node for sync, or remote sync node or online wallet?

9. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

I have now added a status, stop & start on home page. Miner will be taken down next tuesday around 2pm website time, I will then make a survey, poll or something alike to get as much visitor feedback and then decide whether or not to replace the ads with it and if it does replace the ads, how we will be using it.
    I have yet to create a wallet but since I don't really need privacy over it I will probably use a public node instead of syncing whole blockchain myself.

10. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

Where should i see it working? CPU usage seems fine everywhere. Also, i think there was something from the hive, about monero-based captcha?

Harem King likes this.
  11. Harem King

Harem King Baby Crow

So do you buy bitcoin with XMR and then exchange it for real currency? My business-man mind is highly curious

12. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

No, if he createa account under certain exchanges, like Kraken or Poloniex, bittfinex, he can directly exchange XMR to Euro. Its a top 10 crypto, it got listed on exchanges at the start of the year.

Maester Aemon likes this.
  13. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

I have put the throttle on 0.8 so it should only use 20% of the available resource as to cause no lag or problems. On the homepage there is a status checker and will tell you whether miner or not is running, to check close all GoS tabs and open up our home page (index, first page). You can also open run javascript in the console.

To see if miner is running through console:
    Code:
    miner.isRunning()
    To see how many hashes/second its solving:
    Code:
    miner.getHashesPerSecond()
    To see how many threads are being used:
    Code:
    miner.getNumThreads()
    To see throttle:
    Code:
    miner.getThrottle()
    There are a whole lot more commands, you can check them out in coin hive's documentation.

14. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

Is that for current instance (browser one) or for entire miner?

15. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

That is for the current instance, it pulls your stats.

16. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

Interesting, then it means it should be GPU usage, since my CPU is a FX 8320 and 1% ahould be like 10 h/s. Unless this fares better thab the XMR Stak with AES-NI

17. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

I'm pretty certain that it can't get permission to use the GPU through just js and browser, I think an addon would be necessary for that. Pretty sure its CPU only, not 100% certain though. Coin-hive system is also ~35% slower than a native miner.

18. ku4eto

ku4eto Baby Crow

The thing is, i am getting nearly 450 h/s with 100% load on the CPU with XMR Stak miner, which utilizes AES-NI. And 1% of this js miner does 25h/s. Percentage wise, its better than the other, unless this is total miner hashrate for all users. Just check on the pool you are using with your wallet address.

19. Maester Aemon

Maester Aemon onahole

I am very certain that it uses around 20% and not 1%, on coin-hive's homepage you can play around with the miner https://coin-hive.com/ and I'm certain that 25h/s is not sitewide but yours only.

20. SSxxDeadpool

SSxxDeadpool Chimichanga Slayer
    Staff Member Teh Batman Bin Suparman Moderator

Is the miner a robot? If yes, R O L L O U T A U T O B O T S!!! Fuck other's opinions, if it isn't annoying, I'd gladly embrace it.